Saturday, March 6, 2010

Cork and the Blarney Stone!

6/3/2010

HOORAY! I survived the 4 hour bus ride back from Cork, Ireland!

Yesterday morning I got up quite early to meet some friends at the coach station to set off for our Blarney stone adventure!

We arrived in Cork, Ireland before noon, checked into our hostel, bought bus tickets for Blarney Village, and just like that we were on our way! It was such a GORGEOUS day yesterday! In the sun I was sweaty... yes, I know. The sun was shining and there was nary a cloud in the sky. Our bus ride to the village was fun... so much fun that we missed our stop and had to run to the bus driver and beg him to let us off. HA, yes we're tourists.
Walking back into town...

Anywhooooooos, the grounds were amazing and really made the trip for us. There were patches of flowers blooming everywhere you looked and the streams were the clearest I've ever seen and full of beautiful green algae. The Blarney grounds include the castle, the Blarney house, a lime kiln, a waterfall, dolmen, a forest, a tree and flower lined lane, the buildings supporting the Blarney house and castle, and the STONE!

The castle had little signs posted everywhere that told you what things did including the murder hole. This is where you would drop, shoot, or poor things on unwelcome visitors and an unwelcome pit where you would fall through the floor if someone flipped a switch when you entered. VERY COOL.

We climbed to the top where there were AMAZING views...

Blarney Village
There was very little ceremony. You climb to the top, walk over to the two cute old guys, sit your butt down and lean back to kiss the stone. It was nice and easy because I didn't look all the way down until I had kissed the stone. There is a grate under your head, but then it's a 300 foot drop to the ground! Like I said, amazing views of the grounds!





We walked over to the house and the kiln, strolled around the witches kitchen, the wishing stairs which end in a waterfall, and took in the weather in all its glory before heading into town for an expensive yet tasty shepard's pie and Bailey's cheesecake.


We jumped the bus back to Cork and took our customary nap in the hostel before heading out for some craic. We discovered a small pub in an alley way that played THE BEST music ever and was full of normal, calm, and fully clothed people. The last place we went to played the same kind of music  and had the same people but in a larger venue with a live dj.

Today, we walked around Cork for some real shopping after an amazing breakfast in the English Market. I finally got my grubby, little hands on some grapes, a naner, and the best scone I've had to date. You will be please or shocked (depending) to hear that I was the only girl not to buy shoes today! I did buy some nifty earrings as I have lost one from each pair that I brought to a champion. Does that mean I have too much fun or that I get my ears caught and ripped by random things constantly? Food for thought.

This week is RAG week, aka Lutefest for four days straight usually ending in burning cars and lots of police so wish me luck and watch for me on the news!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment