Sunday, March 7, 2010

the "beach"

7/3/2010

This morning I woke up to one of the most beautiful days I've had in Ireland! I made a lunch and headed to the beach with a packed lunch. I have never been to the Salthill beaches beyond the pier so it was a new adventure. The beaches are rock and turn into sand the closer you get to the water. There are mussels up the wazoo with some shells mixed in. I do love to walk around looking for shells.















The mussels
 I tried climbing on some seaweed-covered rocks and figured out when i was trapped just how slippery and creepy the seaweed was. It squishes and makes popping noises as you walk on it. It made the rocks too slippery and dangerous so I had to retreat and take the civilian path... I know, weak.

I headed further down the beach to the bridge that takes you to the lighthouse. The water was beautiful and clear. You could see the deep blues where the seaweed grew and the turquoise areas where the sand prevailed. There were little islands of rocks beside the bridge that kept tricking me into thinking they were seals. It's really not out of the question to expect seals as they are in the area. Mary and I saw them on our ferry ride out to the Aran Islands.

Pedestrians were not allowed into the lighthouse area so I sat down on the bridge and enjoyed a sub-par PB&J. The fun bits of today are over, now it's time to start studying for the GRE or writing a paper... hmmm one more tv show couldn't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment