Thursday, February 4, 2010

"Rowing Team" My Rear

4/2/2010

I forgot last week to write about the funniest thing I've seen in ages, or to get a picture of it. Dang. You'll still appreciate it now soooooo

I was walking to school last week and crossed the bridge over the river that has a million tires and umbrellas in it every morning only to discover that the Rowing Team which has a sign posted by the road actually existed... and it wasn't pretty. As I crossed the bridge, I first saw to guys who had taken out a boat and were working on the engine with the rear of the boat off the ramp already.

On second look, the rear of the boat WAS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE RIVER AND THE GUYS WERE TRYING TO GET THE ENGINE OFF. I laughed the loudest laugh ever... and I was walking by myself so it made it funnier. Anyways, the "Rowing Team" looked pretty amateur and in trouble deep to boot.

What did not surprise me was the oil leaking into the river from the engine. Everything here is VERY polluted and gross. I don't understand a place that is so keen on two minute showers and regulated energy that then profusely pollutes and does not pick it up. We may use more energy in America, but we do pick up after ourselves. There are islands of floating trash in a river/creek two kitchen table widths... I just don't get it.

On another note, I registered with the GARDA on Monday and am officially allowed to stay in Ireland for study. Good thing I took a cab to get there after having walked around the area this weekend to find it. Directions in Ireland, even on paper, are equivalent to someone standing up and throwing a general direction and some scattered street names your way. What they don't tell you when you get here is that buildings rarely have assigned numbers or lie on a direct road. For instance, my apartment address has two street names attached to it and no numbers other then my apartment number. ADVENTURES.

On Tuesday, I volunteered at the primary school again and had a great time with some young gentlemen and a girl. I think their "joined writing" could beat mine.

I have a rescheduled inline hockey session tonight so let's hope it goes better than last time. Surprisingly, Major bruises just aren't my thing. Speaking of bruises, I have finally been able to get Supernatural to work on my computer and am rediscovering all the beautiful one-liners. I never have time during the day to watch anything, but I cackle uproariously by myself in my room while my flatmates watch smut tv. It's a beautiful thing.

Some friends and I bought tickets for Killarney and the Ring of Kerry this weekend so I hope we don't miss our buses.

No comments:

Post a Comment