Sunday, January 17, 2010

Inline Hockey, Connemara and Kylemore Abbey day trip, and around Galway

17/1/2010

This weekend was jam packed with activities.

Earlier in the week I found out that I was going to have friends in town this weekend and planned a trip through Connemara and Kylemore Abbey for everyone. Mary and I had been trying to get to Kylemore Abbey, but the weather was so horrible that the tour company canceled Mary's tour.

On Tuesday, Mary and I went to club fair at school where I signed up for INLINE HOCKEY. People were rollerblading around and shooting pucks... I almost screamed with excitement. The table had hockey skates on it as well but the tablers said that the temporary ice was leaving town... sad. BUT I SIGNED UP ANYWAYS.

On Friday, I went to practice at the new sports facility and had the best time EVER. My friend was coming into town during practice but I just couldn't miss out.

We went through a couple drills and tried to learn how to stop and started a game. I never really learned how to stop during the drills so I nearly killed myself but it was okay. I met tons of great people and ripped up my feet and legs because the skate boots are insane, but it was the best time I've had in a while.

After practice, I met up with my friends in my sweaty sweatpant outfit in a bar and got the weirdest looks from the bouncers... priceless. We then headed to an Erasmus student party. Since Erasmus students are strictly European exchange students, it was interesting to be the ONLY Americans there... culture shock if I've ever felt one.

Saturday we woke up nice and early to hop on the bus for Connemara (16/1/2010). Lally Bus Tours has the best drivers EVER. Ours was great and cracked jokes throughout his in depth tour of the area. I think I'm an expert on Connemara ponies, films shot in the area, and sheep of course.

No one besides our group of 16 was on the bus so we had a great time. Our tea stop in a small town that was one of the spots for the movie The Fields was great. It was right on Ireland's only fjord where they net for muscles. Definitely a sight to see.

The Kylemore Abbey, built by Mitchell Henry for his wife Margaret, was amazing and beautiful. The Abbey, the garden, and the church Henry built in memory of his wife, was purchased by Benedictine Nuns who had to flee Belgium during WWII and has operated as a school. The school will close after next year so the Nuns will be able to focus on fixing up the garden and abbey for tourists.

The church was amazing and the views are something I will not forget. The garden was HUGE and amazing. Pictures gave you an idea of the progress the Nuns have made since they purchased it and what it looked like originally.

We drove home along the coast by the town where the ferry Mary and I took leaves for the Aran Islands. A great view.

This morning, my Semester at Georgetown friend, her roommate, and I went for a full Irish breakfast before walking around town. I was SO full.

We walked around town again starting with the dock area at the Spanish Arch and then to NUI Galway, the Cathedral, then to Columbus' church, the Barnacle house, Lynch's window, and then back to the apartment. A great end to a busy weekend.

I hope next weekend will be just as fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment