Monday, May 10, 2010

The Giant's Causeway and Port Rush

10/10/2010

This past Thursday, I pulled a Scotland and got up at 5AM to take my second bus trip to Derry on my way to Port Rush, Ireland. Once I was in Derry, I hopped a train to Port Rush, Ireland where Joe has been living for his HECUA program. What he failed to tell me this whole time was: PORT RUSH IS GORGEOUS and 7 miles away from the Giant's Causeway!

My friends are taking their finals this week, and as I finished two weeks ago and would then have nothing to do while they studied, I made a quick decision to head to Northern Ireland. This new spring weather has changed Ireland's look drastically. Galway is more gorgeous with all of the green and shrubs, but Derry and Port Rush and the Causeway were simply out of this world.

Port Rush has beaches on two sides and a cliff on the apex. While Joe was busy doing school things, I walked around town and the furthest I could get down the beaches. The East Strand is closest to the Giant's Causeway and features a view of Dunluce Castle which separates Port Rush with the Causeway. On the way down the beach you can see the Skerry Islands to the left where black rabbits and seals live and a waterfall that must have formed during the thawing process.














We tramped around town and the beach with the other students of Joe's program for a day and then headed out to the Causeway. The weather was great, I have the sunburn to prove it! The view was simply amazing, everything I expected Ireland to be before I headed over for the semester. I can't convey just how beautiful it was so here's a sub par pic.



















I had originally planned to head home by way of Belfast, but I decided that my wallet had had enough bludgeoning for the week and navigated the dinky trains back to my bus in Derry. The trip was a success! I am a little sad now as most of my friends head back to their homes at the end of this week. An end to an adventure, but the beginning of a new perspective!

No comments:

Post a Comment