Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Bugz and the field of Athenry

26/5/2010
Wow, I guess I haven't posted in a while. Whoops. I've been busy this week saying goodbye to all of my friends here in Galway. Despite a few delays due to the ash cloud, everyone made i home safely. Whoooo hooooo!

Joe said goodbye to his friends over in Paris and arrived here in Galway last week to finish his time before the long journey home. This meant that I had an excuse to do fun things like go to the Cliffs of Moher again and take a trip to Athenry, a town just 20 minutes away with a castle, two churches, the city walls and arches, and the fields for which "The Fields of Athenry" has made famous.

Fields of Athenry- Dropkick
Fields of Athenry-Paddy Reilly

The Cliffs of Moher tour this time was just as great as the first time with Mary back in January. The weather was amazing, as it has been for the last week, and allowed  the bus to make it to the Dolmen on top of the Burren and to the caves which we opted out of. The bus passed a ring fort after we left the cave area and the bus driver didn't say anything, so I had to convince myself that I hadn't hallucinated with the signs on the side of the road that did indeed indicate a ring fort.















Yesterday, We hopped a bus over to Athenry. Even though I anticipated a small town after reading about it, Athenry was literally smaller than three city blocks each way, but packed with cool things. The old city wall cuts directly through town and two church ruins and a castle dominate the "skyline." There were barns and etc. that I am confident were older than the united states and what I believe to be a sealed town well scattered through the little town. The scenery was beautiful and open areas around each site were perfect for a nap and killing three hours until the bus came in the afternoon. One of the fields of Athenry held a playground where mom's brought their kids and hooligans skipping school had a game of soccer and stood as still as rabbits when a police van stopped at the head of the playground.

The day trip was well worth it! Later this week I will be heading to Kilkenny in the mainland below Dublin for a inline hockey tournament. I will be one of three girls participating with one of the others being another girl on our team... should be interesting. I will move out of the apartment the day after I return and head to Dubs for two days before making the great journey back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment