Friday, April 23, 2010

Home again home again

23/4/2010

According to the date above, I missed both of my finals due to volcanic ash... I'll say that again VOLCANIC ASH. That is not something everyone can say! I took off from Sweden yesterday morning, went to the bathroom in Norway, and then took another flight to Dublin... and then a three and a half hour bus ride back to Galway! HOORAY! I really did not know how much I missed Galway until the plane touched down in Dublin.

I was extremely nervous that my flight would be canceled as I sat in the airport watching it snow. I was twitchy after watching ash clouds of doom drift by the apartment in Marsta, Sweden and gloomy news programs the week leading up to my potential return. The plane did not leave on time, but it left!

Norway, or the bit I saw of it, is also like northern Minnesota in that it is covered in pine forests and rocks and cute little red and yellow houses. Very much like Sweden, but don't tell them that!

The view during the flights was most eye opening. Personally, when someone says that I can't go home because a volcano in Iceland is shooting ash into the air, I think they are telling the worst lie ever. But, the haze of ash was there, we flew through it for a while. The ocean also had a film over it that was interrupted by patches of shiny ocean, almost like a skin over the top. I believed all of the warnings and news guys after seeing that. I also engaged in a couple of my thought experiments and freaked myself out during both flights.

This morning I walked around Galway to run some errands and really enjoyed myself.

As I have missed both of my finals, I now have to head over to the college office and prove that I was indeed stuck in Sweden and not playing Xbox with my homeboys... Monday will be interesting to say the least... maybe they can just look in my lungs for ash and the glass pieces it is said to contain?

No comments:

Post a Comment